Wednesday, October 29, 2014

An Interview with Clint Hames

Director of On Golden Pond
November 20th - 29th at the Chilliwack Cultural Centre
© Jenna Hauck, The Chilliwack Progress 
Clint, sitting in the Chilliwack Arts Centre theatre seats.

 Clint, you have directed many shows for the Guild.  What is it about On Golden Pond that captured your imagination?
I have always loved the script.  I saw it years ago on stage, and loved it. It’s very well written…great dialogue…very well-crafted…and the story is becoming more real to me at this stage in my life having watched people I really care about go through the changes and stages that happen in the play.  The play is about change and aging…those themes really resonate with me, and I think it’s important to talk about these things.

I am drawn to plays that are well written because they are so  easy to direct!  It’s hard to make a bad play good, even with good actors.  But a play like On Golden Pond, which is so beautifully written, is very hard to mess up. 

What do you look for when you are casting a play?
When I cast any show, I am on the lookout for the person during the audition who can make the person they are acting with better.  At times, when you ask two people to read together, there is an unevenness.  I look for actors who have the ability to elevate the people around them…it’s about interacting and creating energy.  Acting is all about what you give, not what you take. I look for actors who give energy to others. 
 
Here's Clint working with some actors at UFV!
What happens during a typical rehearsal of On Golden Pond?
Well, before rehearsals even start, I prepare by reading and re-reading the script until I have it almost memorized.  Then I start creating pictures in my mind…a series of pictures…almost like a storyboard…of the key moments in the play that tell the story of the play.  Plays have moments when the action rises and ebbs…I try to picture those moments and then, during rehearsals, I try to move the actors from picture to picture. The feedback that I get is that the plays I direct have lovely tableaus in them…

How much do the actors contribute?
Tons!  The actors create the characters, bring the characters to life.  I don’t tell an actor how to do something; instead I will ask questions like, “How do you think your character would be feeling right now, and how could you portray that feeling?”  I direct by asking a lot of questions and then encourage the actors to make the strongest, the most dramatic choices. It’s important that each actor knows what his or her character is doing and why. 
  
What’s a metaphor that would describe the process of directing a show?
It’s like a painting…I imagine directing is like creating a watercolour painting.  First you create the background, and  then add on the next layers... shapes and colours…a tree here…a colour there.  You start with the broad strokes and then eventually you are adding all the little details.  I like to work from the large to the small, adding more and more layers of complexity.  The final phase is to work on the tempo of the play.  One way I do that is to run and re-run the play until the actors feel really confident. 

Which do you prefer,  acting or directing?
I would much rather direct!  I get so much more satisfaction from directing.  Some people love the applause, being on stage.  I would much rather do my bit and then watch what we’ve created together from the audience.  

How many shows have your directed? 
30 or 40, I think. 

And you are a long time Guild member?
I have been in the Guild since 1971. 
Clint in our 1977 Production of Arsenic and Old Lace
Why has the Guild endured and been successful?
Because there is a group of people who are really committed to keeping it going.  I am in the Guild because it provides a creative outlet, for sure, but there is a social aspect to the group, an educational aspect.  The people who are member of the Guild understand it’s bigger than just being in a play…it’s about creating community. 

Why should people come and see On Golden Pond?
Well...it’s a very funny play…extremely entertaining.  They will enjoy the lovely, poignant moments that will bring tears to their eyes…it’s very touching.  I think we can all see ourselves in this play, in these characters.  Norman is the central character and all the action revolves around Norman.  There are many magical moments of transformation in the play, and all of them have something to do with the character of Norman. 

What’s the theme of the play?
Transformation....aging and the impact of aging, I think.  The  play is about how the process of growing up and changing never stop.  Ethel and Norman have to come to terms with the fact that Norman is aging.  Their daughter, Chelsea, has to come to terms with the fact that if she is going to reconcile with her father, then she needs to do it so or it might never happen.  All the characters are running out of time, in one way or another.

One last question:  What does the director do after the show goes up?
Well, I watch every show.  Some directors so their thing and then off they go, but I always feel an intense connection to the show.  I just enjoy the show.  After opening night, I become an interested observer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment