Thursday, October 30, 2014

An Interview with Jeff Hanson

Jeff Hanson on playing Bill Ray
in On Golden Pond

Jeff, is this your first Guild production?
Yes, it is.  I play the role of Bill Ray, Chelsea’s boyfriend.  Bill has a son from a previous marriage named, Billy.  In the play, Chelsea, Bill and Billy come to Golden Pond so that  Ethel and Norman can meet Bill and Billy Ray.

Have you acted before?
 Yes… I was involved in theatre in high school.  I originally thought of going into radio broadcasting, a so I went to university to study communication arts and theatre.  During my time at university, I worked on productions.  I also taught drama in high school in Alberta.  I have always wanted to get back into theatre;  here I am, 21 years later, returning to the stage!
 
Jeff's headshot for On Golden Pond
You have a bit of a theatrical family, don’t you?
 Yes, my daughters, Hailey and Malone, are involved with the Chilliwack School of Performing Arts, as is my son, Billy.    I worked backstage in several of the SCOPA productions.  My wife and kids were the ones who encouraged me to audition for On Golden Pond. 

Did you know the play?
 Yes, I love the  play and know it quite well.  I love the story and how the playwright explores the relationships between the characters.   I am also a fan of the movie.  The play really speaks to me! 

Were you surprised when you got the part of Bill Ray, Chelsea’s love interest in the play?
 Totally!  I went to the audition, just for the experience, not expecting to get a part.  There were lots of people there, and it was kind of nerve-wracking.  I read with Graham Archer and I thought to myself that he would make a great Norman.  I never imagined I’d get cast.  

How did you feel when you got the part?
 I thought to myself, now what do I do?!  I mean, how did I learn lines way back then?  I felt a little rusty!  But all the Guild folks made me feel so welcome.  I love going to rehearsals, and I have been learning so much watching Joan and Graham.  I have the perfect role to get myself back into theatre.   It’s not too big, but it’s an important role for the story. 

How would you describe your character, Bill?
 Bill is a city guy, a dentist, who is in love with Chelsea.  In the play, Bill is being introduced to the family for the first time, so there is a lot on the line for him.  He wants to make a good impression.  Chelsea has warned  him that her father is a crotchety old bugger, so he’s a bit nervous to meet Norman.  Bill has a son, Billy Ray, who he trying to straighten out.  So, Bill has a lot on his mind.
 
Jeff in rehearsals for On Golden Pond.
You said that the script really speaks to you.  How so?
 I think because it’s so well written.  The story is timeless, endearing; it touches your heart, and it’s relatable.  So many families struggle with dysfunction, but they love each other, and they try to make the relationships work.  The story is still relevant, and the cast is wonderful, so talented.  It’s dramatic, yes, but there is so much humour in the story.

 And you will be performing on the Chilliwack Cultural Centre stage…
 I have worked backstage, and I’ve been to many productions at the Cultural Centre, and I think it’s an absolute jewel..  We are so lucky to have such a beautiful space in Chilliwack. 

What do you like about acting?
 I think it’s good for the soul to make believe, to pretend.  It’s so rewarding to tell a story.  That’s what acting is:  you make a commitment to tell a story so that the audience can see the playwright’s vision come to life. 

Are you hoping to act in future Guild productions?
 Well, let’s see how this one goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment