Thursday, October 30, 2014

An Interview with Darcy Ferrier

Darcy Ferrier on playing Charlie
in On Golden Pond

Darcy, you play the role of Charlie in On Golden Pond.  Tell us about your character.
 Charlie is the postman who delivers the mail on Golden Pond.  He has spent his entire life living there.  I would describe him as a simple individual; he is a happy go lucky guy.  He’s 44 and has been enamored with Chelsea since they  were kids.

The other characters in the play are very deep, very complex, with lots going on under the surface, but Charlie is uncomplicated.  With Charlie, what you see is what you get.  He provides a lot of comic relief in the play.

How many Guild shows have you been in?  And what do you like about being part of community theatre?
 I have been in 13 shows with the Guild, I think.  I love theatre.  It’s so much fun to escape into another character.  There’s this world that’s been created by the playwright…the director refines it…and then the actors breathe life into the parts.  Every production is unique.  It’s fun and exciting to get to create a world for the audience to experience. 
 
Darcy in Leading Ladies.
Tell us about your acting background…
 Well, I started acting in high school, but took a long break, so I didn’t get back into it until my forties.  My first role with the Guild was in Office Hours, also directed by Clint Hames.  My absolute favourite role so far has to be Freddy in Noises Off.  Even the rehearsals were hilariously funny! 

Most people dread having to perform or speak  in front of others.  As an experienced actor, do you ever get stage fright? 
 Yup, just before I go on stage, I feel nervous and a certain amount of apprehension.  I think it must be the adrenalin kicking in.  I think acting is similar to doing extreme sports:  it’s this weird combination of fear and exhiliration. 

What do you like about being a member of The Chilliwack Players Guild?
 It’s so comfortable!  It’s easy to get to know people, and there is a really high level of professionalism.  Everyone is doing his or her best.  The expectations are high and people live up to them. 

You’ve been directed by Clint before.  Tell us about him as a director.
 This is the fourth time I have been directed by Clint.  He is a great director, very meticulous, and so good to work with.  He is very open to allowing the actors to create their own versions of the characters.  And Becky, our stage manager, is very attentive to the needs of the actors.  This creates tremendous confidence for the actors.  We are lucky to be supported by really great and talented people. 
 
Darcy in rehearsals for On Golden Pond alongside cast member Joan.
Why should folks come to see On Golden Pond?
 Because it’s a lovely story!  It’s one of those scripts that makes you think about your own life and your own relationships.  It’s touching and very beautiful.  I know audiences will love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment