Thursday, October 30, 2014

An Interview with Miles Merry

Miles Merry on playing Billy Ray Junior
in On Golden Pond

 Tell me a bit about yourself, Miles.
 I am 11 years old in grade six at McCammon Elementary.  I have one older brother...I was born in Chilliwack...I love to sing, play video games, stuff like that.

Is this your first production with the Guild?
 No, I was in Tis the Season and Anne of Green Gables
 
Miles on stage in Anne of Green Gables the Musical with cast members Abigail and Kathryn.
How old were you when you were in your first show?
 That was Tis the Season...I was 7 or 8, I think.

You like to sing.  Who is your favourite singing group?
 One Direction.  They are really talented.

Tell me about the character you play in On Golden Pond. 
 I play Billy Ray Junior.  He's thirteen, from California, kind of a "too cool for school" kind of kid.
Miles plays it cool in rehearsals for On Golden Pond.
 Doesn't sound like you.
 No!  He's quite different from me.  I mean, physically we're the same, but he has a bit of an attitude, so thats kind of a stretch.  He tries to hide that he likes to do the things Norman likes to do, like fishing and stuff. 

Norman is his grandpa?
 Right.  Most of my scenes are with Norman (Graham Archer), Ethel (Joan Hogan), and Chelsea (Katy Lowe).

What's it like to be the only kid in the production?
 I'm kind of used to it.  It feels really comfortable.  I like being around adults.  I didn't know the cast when I first came on set, but they are really nice. 

What is the play about?
 I think it's about change, people changing when change is difficult.  It's about a family, and if  you are like one of the characters, you might want to change, too.

How are the rehearsals going?
 Really well.  People are so nice, and I am having fun.  It's a bit of a challenge 'cause it's the biggest role I have ever had.  Lots of lines, but it's exciting. 

Do you get nervous before you perform?  The stage you will be performing on is pretty big! 
 Not really.  I just put myself in the other person's head and then I'm not nervous.  I just kind of pretend I'm in my living room.

Do the kids at school know you are in a play?
 The kids know I'm in theatre...I think there's a rumour that I'm in a TV show! 

What would you like to tell people who are thinking of coming to see the show?
 They should come see it!  They will laugh at parts, and maybe feel a bit nervous at other parts.  I think people will be really into it.  It's a good story. 

Is your family coming to see the show?
 Oh, yeah!  Mom and Dad and Grandma and Grandpa...the whole family. 

Good luck, Miles!
 Thanks. 

Oh, and one more question:  If you could be in any production of a movie or a play, what would it be?
 An action movie, for sure! 


No comments:

Post a Comment