Thursday, October 30, 2014

An Interview with Joan Hogan

Joan Hogan – Ethel

Joan, how many Guild shows have you been in
 Oh, probably 55 or 56, I think! 

Wow!  With so many acting roles to your credit, what are your all-time favourite roles? 
 I would have to say Liza Doolittle in the Guild’s production of Pygmalion, directed by Christine Newsome.  I loved playing the transition from a cockney flower girl to a high class lady.  It was very challenging.  Another of my favourite roles was actually very similar to Liza Doolittle -  I played Rita in Educating Rita,  a story about a woman who is transformed when she goges back to school as an adult and discovers that she is actually very intelligent.  I also loved playing the Reverend Mother in Nunsense; I got to dance, act, sing and do an Irish accent! 
 
Joan as Rita in our 1986 production of Educating Rita with cast mate Alan Davis.
How would you describe Ethel, the character you play in On Golden Pond?
 Well, Ethel is a dramatic role, I would say, even though the play has lots of humour.  Ethel and Norman, her husband, have been together for 48 years, and his health is starting to decline.  Ethel tries to keep his spirits up, and keep peace in the family.  She ties to keep Norman and their daughter, Chelsea, from fighting; she loves them both but like lots of mothers, she finds herself caught in the middle.    Ethel is  very supportive of her husband, but worried about him.  Norman is turning 80; suddenly Ethel  is faced with the possibility that he won’t always be there.  So, she tries to be upbeat, to keep things light.  She’s in a bit in denial, I think. 

Sounds like a story we can all relate to in some way or another…
 Absolutely!  It’s a lovely mix of comedy and drama, very heart warming, with emotional peaks and valleys.  I can really relate to the story because I have gone though similar issues with my own family.  At my age, you start to think about the reality of being in the latter part of your life.  Sometimes in rehearsals, I get goosebumps.  The writing is so beautiful…the characters are so real…

It’s a story about a marriage, a family.  Norman is in a dark place and Ethel is trying to lift him back up.  He is estranged from their daughter, and Ethel sees that time is running out for the two of them to reconcile.  It’s a lovely story, and very hopeful. 
 
Joan and Graham rehearse for On Golden Pond.
Graham Archer is playing the role of Norman.  What’s he like to act with?
 I have known Graham for 30 years, so there is a level of comfort and trust already there.  He is a wonderful actor.  We have a rapport, a connection, to build on.  Because we have connection, each rehearsal allows us to get deeper into the characters.  When you feel comfortable with someone on stage, you can really let go and explore the character.  I am lucky to have that with Graham. 

Joan, you have been a long time Guild member.  What keeps you involved in the Guild?
 The Guild is like a family.  I am from England, where my family still lives, so the friends I have made in the Guild have become my family.  We have grown up together, raised our kids together, been involved with shows together.  I feel very close to the people in the Guild. They are so creative, so hard working.  Being in a show with them is a team effort. 

How many people are involved in a show like On Golden Pond?
 Aside from the actors and the director, Clint Hames, we have a huge crew working on the show:  stage manager, assistant stage manager, backstage crew, props , advertising, producer, make up,  hair, costumes, set construction, set painting, opening night reception…there are a lot of people involved in mounting a show!

Who do you think would enjoy the show?
 Oh, I think the show would appeal to people of all generations.  Everyone will see themselves in the characters and the situation. 

Tell us about being directed by veteran Guild member Clint Hames…
 I love working with Clint!  He is knowledgable; he researches the play; he has a deep understanding of the characters.  He may have different ideas of my character that I do, but he makes suggestions that help me explore the character.  I love his viewpoint.  He listens to what you have to say, is respectful of what you think…he allows you to develop your own interpretation of the character.  I feel so confident in his abilities as a director.  With Clint directing, I know we will have an excellent show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment